Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My days in Australia....

So it has been about a week and a half since my last post...woops!

After the cool bungy day, we went on a Lord of the Rings tour. I liked that a lot, we got to see where they filmed a lot of the scenes and it was beautiful. They also happened to be filming the new "Wolverine" movie with Hugh Jackman while we were there so we got to see some of those sets.

We left the day after that for Sydney. In Sydney, we went to the Blue Mountains and some animal place. I really liked the zoo place because the wallabies were just running around and you could pet 'em and feed 'em! They were very cute, as were the koalas! We also went on a tourist bus in Sydney and got to see all the touristy things. We saw the Opera House but didn't get off the bus because it was raining a lot. The main thing I remember about Sydney was that it rained a lot and they had this shop that sold really good bread/pastry things and I had an apple one and it was sooooo good!

Next was Cairnes. Cairnes was sooo hot when we got there! We walked along the "beach" the first night and went to a cool animal dome. Our hotel wasn't very near town so walking back and forth wasn't so much fun. The next day we got to go on a boat to the Great Barrier Reef. We went on a semi-submersible ship or something and got to get up close and personal to the reef and its inhabitants!! Then, we went to the beach and went snorkeling in the reef which was cool. It started to rain after that though, which was sad. The next day we went to Kuranda village which is this cool little village in the middle of the rainforest. I got to cuddle a koala there!! She was very soft. I also made friends with some lazy kangaroos! After we walked around a little we went to this pub where I got my first official legal alcoholic umbrella drink! a mango margarita mmmmm it was good! It started raining pretty hard then and we just went back to the hotel and hung out. It rained pretty much the whole next day but we managed to go to some tourist shops and we found a mall so that was nice.

We're in Melbourne now. I'm liking the Melbourne weather and atmosphere a whole lot better than both Sydney and Cairnes...so that's good. It has really good public transportation and today we took a free tourist bus around the city. We stopped off at the university and i saw the civil engineering building and the dorm i'd be staying at for 4 days for the melbourne welcome program (the dorm looks like it'd fit in harry potter world....) We also found UniLodge where I applied for an apartment but never heard back. Apparently I have a spot and they'd been emailing me, but i never got the emails...sucks for me. But i still have an apartment and I can move in whenever. I'm probably going to move in tomorrow because I don't want to have to lug all of my stuff to the dorm i'll be staying at for a few days then lug it back again to the apartment. Anyway, that's all we've done. I really like Melbourne so far and am excited for school to start!!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Hello Melissa,

Thanks for the post. Sounds like you are having a really good time and have exciting days ahead. Now that Kay has gone it will be up to you to keep us here in the north, WOW Florida is north of somehere, informed of happenings down under. I don't expect a lot of posts, just enough to let us know whats happening. Have a great semester.